Saturday, December 21, 2013

Mise en place

"Mise en place - (pronounced meez en plas) is a French phrase which means "putting in place", as in set up. It is used in professional kitchens to refer to organizing and arranging the ingredients..." 
I like to think that I'm fairly good at baking. I don't bake so often, but I'm definitely better at it than cooking normal, everyday dishes. I tried something new the other day when I was baking cookies. It's called mise en place (refer to definition above), and it's actually a really helpful step you can take when baking (or just cooking in general). I normally measure out ingredients as I'm reading the steps for a recipe, which you would think is normal, but I find that it just makes me triple check that I measured the right amount of everything. I learned about this preparation method from Benji, who is from one of my favorite daily vlog channels on Youtube, itsJudysLife. I'm still trying to perfect this cookie recipe (which I also got from Benji) because I keep overcooking them which makes them hard, so hopefully the next time around I'll get them right! 

No comments:

Post a Comment